- Red meat is a great source of zinc. A 3.5 oz serving of raw ground beef has 4.8mg of zinc. This is also 20 gram of protein and 10 grams of fat.
- Shellfish is a lower calorie source of zinc. 6 medium oysters have 32 mg of zinc, Alaskan Crab 7.6 mg of zinc in a 3.5 oz serving. Mussels and shrimp are both great sources as well. Always make sure that shellfish are properly cooked before consuming.
- Seeds are a great source of zinc. Small servings provide a great amount of zinc. Hemp seeds, squash, pumpkin, and sesame seeds.
- Nuts such as pine nuts, peanuts, cashews, and almonds are all sources of zinc. Small servings are all that you need.
- Dark Chocolate that is between 70% – 85% contains 3.3mg of zinc in 3.5 oz bar. That also equals 600 calories. It is a starch and should be eaten in moderation.
Secret: Over 300 enzymes require zinc to function. Zinc metabolizes nutrients, maintains the immune system, and grows and repairs body tissues. The body doesn’t store Zinc. This means it’s important to get it through your foods.