- Coconuts are actually fruits not nuts and they grow on large palm trees.
- Coconut water is the juice in the center of young, green coconuts that nourishes the fruit.
- As it matures the juices stay a liquid form, but the rest ripens into a solid known as Coconut meat.
- The water is produced naturally in the fruit and contains 94% water with little fat.
- Coconut water and coconut milk are not the same thing. Coconut milk is created by adding water to grated coconut meat. It usually contains about 50% water and is very high in fat.
- It can take 10 to 12 months for a coconut to fully mature. Since coconut water comes from young coconuts, they are usually harvested around 6 to 7 months.
Secret: Coconut water can be a good alternative to sugary drinks. Although there is the word water in the name, it does not replace the any of your daily water intake.