A: Yes, there are:
- Select a consistent time of day, and stick to it.
- With an empty bladder
- When normally hydrated
- Unclean foot pads may interfere with conductivity.
- Nylons interfere with conductivity. If it is absolutely necessary to measure in nylons, use a drop of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on the foot pads to act as a conductor.
- Early morning is not recommended because the body is often dehydrated after a night’s sleep.
Once you have established your baseline, monitor body fat about twice a month. Checking body fat more frequently is not beneficial as changes occur slowly over time.
Things that can affect hydration include:
- Strenuous exercise
- Recent food intake
- Diuretics such as caffeine, alcohol, certain medications