Spinach is like a super veggie, packed full of vitamins and minerals with only 30 calories and 4 grams of fiber per cup. This gives us energy and vitality to kick butt everyday. There are 5 secrets that spinach holds and I’m about to give them to you.
- The best way to eat spinach is fresh and raw versus frozen/ twice cooked, because it will keep all the nutrients that it has to offer.
- Cooking/sauteing fresh spinach can have increases in nutrition benefits by cooking out the oxalic acid that interferes with absorption of other vitamins and minerals.
- To help absorb iron eat spinach with foods that are high in vitamin C such as peas, tomatoes, broccoli, Kale, and bell peppers. Sounds like a really good salad.
- Spinach helps with digestion by protecting the stomach lining and flushing toxins from the colon.
- Baby and mature leaf spinach hold the same nutrients but baby leaves tend to be better for salad and mature for cooking.
- Don’t wash the leaves before storing.
- It will keep for 4 days if bought in a sealed plastic bag from the store.
- Buy bright green leaves because they hold the most nutrients.
Secret: When Popeye the sailor was a popular television show, Americans ate 33% more spinach in 1931.
Click Here to Learn More About This Topic