- Research has shown that a sugar-laden diet can lead to poor memory and reduced brain volume, particularly in the area of the brain that stores short-term memory
- Meditation is relaxing and soothing, and has been found to: reduce stress and pain, lower blood pressure, and even improve memory
- Sleep plays an important role in memory consolidation, a process in which short-term memories are strengthened and transformed into long-lasting memories
- Exercising your cognitive skills by playing brain games is a fun and effective way to boost your memory
- Consuming large amounts of refined carbohydrates like cakes, cereal, cookies, white rice, and white bread may be damaging to your memory. Studies have shown that the Western diet, which is high in refined carbohydrates, is associated with dementia, cognitive decline, and reduced cognitive function
- Curcumin is a compound found in high concentrations in turmeric root. It’s one of a category of compounds called polyphenols. Multiple animal studies have found that curcumin reduces oxidative damage and inflammation in the brain and also lowers the quantity of amyloid plaques. These accumulate on neurons and cause cell and tissue death, leading to memory loss
Secret: Cocoa is not only delicious but also nutritious, providing a powerful dose of antioxidants called flavonoids. Research suggests flavonoids are particularly beneficial to the brain.They may help stimulate the growth of blood vessels and neurons and increase blood flow in parts of the brain involved with memory.