Let’s PLay Spin the…Egg
Yes, you read that correctly. It says spin the egg. Here’s what you’ll need to play this game: a hard cooked egg; a raw egg; and your kitchen table (or a hard flat surface).
Alright now that you’ve got everything ready, here’s how you play:
- Get both eggs spinning on the table
- Stop both eggs and let go of them
- Watch what happens. The hard cooked eggs will stay still while the raw egg will begin moving again. Why? Keep reading!
- Set the raw egg aside. Spin the hard-cooked egg again. Get it going very fast like the teacups at Six Flags! Once it’s going fast enough, the spinning egg will simultaneously rise up on end and spin like a top.
- If you don’t get the egg to stand up on the 1st try, don’t feel like a failure. The egg has to be spinning faster than 10 revolutions per second. It took us awhile, but we eventually got it =)
Now, I told you to keep reading and I would tell you what’s going on!
Secret: Friction between the eggshell and the tabletop pushes the spinning egg up. The friction destabilizes the egg’s position and causes it to shift position.