- Cinnamon was a highly prized ingredient, even more than gold at one point. It was used in food, in drinks, and it was even used as an embalming agent.
- In Chinese medicine, they believe cinnamon can be used to treat different ailments such as nausea and colds.
- Cinnamon is actually a natural anti-inflammatory acting as such by blocking the release of arachidonic acid, a fatty acid that causes inflammation. This arachidonic acid can also cause blood clotting.
- Sri Lanka produces about 90% of the cinnamon verum used across the world.
- Cinnamon is supposedly helpful in the fight against degenerative brain disorders like alzheimer’s, because it activates protective proteins that help stop mutation and damage to cells.
- Cinnamon’s strong flavor comes from the chemicals cinnamaldehyde and cinnamic aldehyde.
- Cinnamon is also a sugar antidote.
Secret: The average cinnamon tree can grow up to a whopping 60 feet!