- Onions: Onions have lots of layers to help protect the onion from pesticides. In addition to this protection, they have a flavonoid called quercetin which assists in inhibiting the growth of bacteria.
- Avocados: In a study that tested 3,000 avocados, only 1% came back positive for traces of detectable pesticides. This is great news considering avocados offer many great nutrients to the diet.
- Pineapple: the thick skin on pineapples helps absorb pesticides before they reaches the meat inside the pineapple. Studies show that 89% of pineapples that were tested for pesticides showed no sign.
- Grapefruit: Like pineapple, grapefruit’s dense skin absorbs the pesticide chemicals which prevents the pesticides from reaching the juicy inside.
- Cantaloupe: The hard shell of the cantaloupe saves the inside of the fruit from dangerous pesticide chemicals. Buying these conventional is definitely an option.
- Eggplants: The type of pesticide using in the farming of eggplants is not one that is known to stay on the skin of the eggplant. This makes it a safe veggie to buy non-organic.
- Watermelon: The thick shell of the watermelon protects the insides from the pesticide chemicals.
Secret: Mushrooms are on the ‘safe” list of veggies to buy non-organic. It is known that the darker the mushroom the more flavorful it will be!